Friday, August 10, 2012

Social Media Success

It seems every few years there is a new web success. I have been around since Yahoo! was the top search engine, IRC was how people chatted online. Then came a storm of popular websites and online activities. It's not always the first in that wins the success game. Spry Mosaic gave way to Netscape and then IE, ICQ lost to AIM, eBay stood alone as did Amazon - and finally MySpace was virtually absorbed Facebook.

With Facebook's recent IPO and subsequent losses, who knows what the next Internet fad will be for sure?

What I do know is that the trends are already giving us a glimpse of the future. Facebook's switch to a Twitter like feed is a clue. For the social media junkies, they seem to enjoy some semblance of reality over complete fiction. That is why I believe Facebook beat out the more anonymous MySpace. It does seem to me now, a quippy status on Twitter is still very popular. My money is on Twitter for win. Of course all the site will need to deliver advertising revenue on a mobile app!

As an engineer, I am always looking to get in on the ground floor of the next fad. As a developer, I have had lots of clients come to me with the next great idea. Unfortunately for most of them, it did not have enough appeal or funding to make it happen. The good news, is that web sales for products, services and advertising are growing every day!

Do you have a good idea you'd like to pursue? I'd like to hear about it.


No comments:

Post a Comment